Can too much Vitamin A from carrots be toxic?

Written by

Hypervitaminosis A, or vitamin A toxicity, occurs when you have too much vitamin A in your body. This condition may be acute or chronic.

The acute toxic dose of vitamin A is 25,000 IU/kg, and the chronic toxic dose is 4000 IU/kg every day for 6-15 months.

Vitamin A toxicity includes nausea, headache, fatigue and loss of appetite, and might involve dry, itchy skin, bone and joint pain. Fluid buildup around the brain, a condition known as cerebral edema, also can occur. If severe, liver damage as well as excessive bleeding and coma might result.

read more

However, it is only in animal based vitamin A that causes toxicity!   It is the animal form that is toxic, not plant-derived beta-carotene.

Although one cup of carrots exceeds the recommended doses for vitamin A, the type of vitamin A found in carrots is not associated with toxicity complications. While eating too many carrots may bring an orange hue to your skin, you are not likely to suffer adverse health effects as a result. Consuming carotenoids may help you ward off certain diseases, including cancer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *